Bill Nye is great. He makes science fun and easy to understand. The same can be said about his newest show Stuff Happens. Stuff Happens airs on Planet Green Tuesdays at 9 PM.
Today’s episode of Stuff Happens titled Garage asks questions such as:
- Is corn based ethanol really green?
- Are any biofuels really green (i.e. sugar based, algae based, or switchgrass based)
- What happened to the electric cars that 10 years ago people were claiming would be the next big thing?
- What is the world’s most efficient form of transportation?
Some of the answers the show gives might be surprising. For example, Bill Nye seems to be very against corn based ethanol. He also mentions an amusing University of Pennsylvania study that claims people who ride bicycles on a regular basis were actually harming the environment. This is because bicyclists live longer, and by doing so they are around to consume more and produce more waste.
Stuff Happens is probably my favorite show on Green Planet, and this was one of its better episodes. So if you are lucky enough to have a cable company that carries Green Planet, I highly recommend checking this episode out.
Fun Facts Mentioned in the Episode:
- We have used about 1/2 of world’s oil in 150 years
- The energy required to make 1 gallon of corn ethanol is equal to burning 65 gallons of gasoline
- Corn erodes soil 18x faster than it can regenerate
- By 2020 there will be over 1,000,000,000 cars on Earth
- There are 15,000,000 skateboarders in the U.S.
- Skateboards are largely recyclable